Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Taking the Spanx off life

My goal is to blog every day this week...and for each of them to be an entertaining good read!

So hopefully everyone knows what Spanx are. They are basically torture devices created to convince women that they look slimmer in whatever they are wearing (apparently they make undershirts for men now too). Think modern day corset. Maybe there are some people that find these effective and comfortable, but I am not one of those people.


It looks harmless, right? WRONG. Last week I had to dress up for a presentation and since I was spending so much time diligently working on my project I didn't have time to hit the HRC. I had bought one of these devices over break to wear with a dress that looked slightly more sleek with it on. Somehow I thought that wearing something that sucked all of the stuff that's supposed to be on the outside of my body into my visceral organs would be both attractive and comfortable.

I put the camisole-like thing on and was feeling pretty good. I put on the rest of my clothes and ventured into the formal living room of the Kappa Alpha Theta to finish up some homework. After a few minutes my breathing shortened. I felt like my ribs were being squeezed together by a vice. I started going in and out of consciousness...okay so I'm being a little dramatic. However, it was NOT working for me! I had to take that off and just deal with my body for the day. Inhaling never felt so good!

Sometimes if we try to hold things in or suck it up and pretend like a problem or worry isn't present it's a lot more uncomfortable than if we just let it out. You have to be real. Maybe a situation isn't what you expected or hoped, or perhaps you don't have the courage to say something that you've been holding in for a long time. Eventually your figurative ribs will start screaming, and chances are it will not be pretty. So be real, face up to the challenges life brings you and don't be afraid to take the Spanx off.

No comments:

Post a Comment