Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The Greatest Thing You'll Ever Learn

Is just to love, and be loved in return.

I love rainy days like today.  They’re a little reminder that sometimes you need to take some time to relax.  My only problem is that I like to relax a little too much J

 

The girls are being very moody today.  Come on, I used to be a moody preteen (and I’m still moody) but I don’t understand!!  I am trying to be a cool, fun, babysitter.   I offered to have a fashion show.  Who doesn’t love a fashion show?  Thus, I have resorted to reading Harry Potter and folding towels while the girls nap and watch Hercules.  Oh Hercules.  Brings back great memories from the 7th grade talent show.  I think 5 different groups of girls sang, “I Won’t Say I’m in Love.”  Moving performances.

 

I have really slacked in the blogging this week.  Even when I used to write for school there were just some weeks when I couldn’t come up with much to talk about.  I need some inspiiiiration in my head!

 

Well, last weekend I went over to Leanna’s and D.W.’s for movie and game night.  It was so much fun!  During one game we were playing, a certain comment about a certain orchestra director had us laughing until we cried.  I tried to conjure up my best “and then I found five dollars” stories and we watched Moulin Rouge.

 

I had never seen Moulin Rouge before, and it was truly a beautiful love story.  It was one of those movies that draws you into the story and makes you feel like you’re part of Satine and Christian’s romance.  Then of course at the end you’re like, “Well isn’t that life.  Once everything’s finally going right…” 

 

Anyways, being the hopeless romantic I sometimes am (it’s a chick flick induced illness) I couldn’t help thinking, “Where’s my Ewan McGregor!!  I want a love like that!”   Which, I hope I do find a person that will love me unconditionally, willing to spend life with me wherever it takes us, and wants to be with me more than anything else.  The thing is, there’s already someone who wants to take that role in my life.

 

Just like Christian, God will chase after us no matter how many times we try to run away from him.  And just like Satine, no matter how hard we try to deny it, how much we fight it, he will always be right there waiting for us and loving us, forever (Psalm 136:1).  God doesn’t care where we have been, just like Christian forgave Satine for her past life.  He longed for nothing more than for her just to love him back and spend the rest of her life with him, leaving her past behind (John 8:11). 

 

However, Christian was jealous and he couldn’t help it.  God is the same way, not so much as in the human form of jealousy, but he can’t stand for us to put our minds and worship on anything else.  Light can’t be with darkness (2 Corinthians 6:14).  God should be our only one, our sole motivation deserving of worship and praise.

 

A friend once told me, “Elizabeth, you mean well and every time you falter you try to fix things, but I feel like you take one step forward, give up and take two steps back.”  As discouraging and hurtful as that was to hear, it was something I needed to hear (it was said with love).  I know how I am.  I know I make excuses for myself and many times perform the same action expecting a different result. 

 

“You don’t have to be perfect but the pursuit of godliness will bring you further and further into the mystery.  Like me you can probably expect to take two steps forward and one step back.  It’s normal, and you can’t let it deflate you.  Life isn’t about forward movement.  It ebbs and it flows.  You are not abnormal in that fact.  Just take heart in the fact that we are all in this together.”  -Hayley DiMarco

 

This was very encouraging to me.  I feel like I have been moving forward and I am in a very good place right now, but I realize that there is truly no moment of “arrival.”  Life never stops.  I am never going to “peak” or achieve the perfect life, there will always be the mountaintop moments and the valleys.  At East 91st a really amazing woman gave me this verse, and it is what helps me persevere and stop living in the past so I can enjoy the journey and look towards the future.

 

No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.

          -1 Corinthians 10:13

No comments:

Post a Comment